Skip to content
An Interesting English
- Do you know a word ‘alphabet’ comes from the first two letters of Greek alphabet – alpha and beta ?
- Here is a very simple sentence which uses every letter of the alphabet,it is ‘The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog ‘ !
- Challenge your friends ! Ask them to find rhyming words for any of these five words – Orange, Month, Silver, Angel & Bulb! You will be surprised to try that these five words don’t have any rhyming word !
- Do you know that if you really get excited on finding new words, learn this special word for yourself ! The word is logophile. It means ‘lover of words’ ! !
- Do you know about ‘crutch words’ ?Crutch words are those words which we slip into sentences to give us more time to think or emphasize on some point. We start using them unconsciously but gradually they became a part of our verbal tics. Few examples of these words are -actually, obviously, like, honestly, basically etc. Most of the times they don’t add any value or meaning of a statement ,for example, ‘I actually was absent that day. ‘So what is your crutch word?
- Want to impress your friends? Remember, Scolionophobia –It means to have fear of School, hope you don’t have it.
- Talking of Phobias, you may get whole list of phobias on the Internet, but here is one interesting phobia – ‘Phobophobia’–It means fear (phobia) of having any phobia. So you got a word for phobia of phobias.
- The word ‘swims’ when turned upside down will still looks like the same ‘swims’.
- The sentence ‘Are you as bored as I am ‘ can be read backwards and would still make sense!
- Now test your friends, ask them to say ‘the sixth sick sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick’.It is known to be the toughest tongue –twister in English language.
- Do you know a funny fact about the word ‘listen’? It contains the same letters as the word ‘silent’!
You may also like...