Objectives: by the end of the lesson pupils will be able to
- name the months of the year, to describe the seasons,
- ask and answer questions about their favourite seasons using simple structures and appropriate intonation,
- understand oral and written description of the seasons using visual aids;
- pupils will have got practised in operating a pairwork activity, will have improved their confidence as speakers.
Materials/aids: textbooks by Alla Nesvit “English. 2”, workbooks, a teacher’s Power Point presentation “Seasons of the year”, a computer, a projector, pictures of the weather, cards with words, tables ( handouts ), a song “Months of the year”, a song “With my foot I tap, tap, tap” ( MP4 ).
- Teacher greets Ps and proposes them to do a mood forecast. He gives Ps pictures of the sun and the cloud. If Ps have a good mood, they add some sun beams to their sun and if they have a bad mood, add some raindrops to the cloud. Then Ps show their pictures to the teacher and he sums up that most of the Ps have a good mood and are ready to work.
- Teacher introduces the topic of the lesson and proposes Ps to read the words on the blackboard ( sunny, windy, snowy, frosty, hot, rainy, cloudy, cold ) and match them to the pictures ( Додаток 1, додаток 2 )
- Teacher asks questions:
What season is it now?
What is the weather like today?
Is it cold today? Is it windy today? Is it cloudy today?
- PRESENTATION OF NEW MATERIAL
Teacher asks Ps to look at the slides, listen and repeat the names of the months of the year ( teacher’s presentation ):
Winter months: December, January, February.
Spring months: March, April, May.
Summer months: June, July, August.
Autumn months: September, October, November.
- Singing a song
Teacher proposes Ps to listen and sing a song about months of the year:
January, February, March and April,
May, June, July and August,
September, October, November, December –
These are the months of the year.
- Find the odd word
Teacher asks Ps to look at the slides ( teacher’s presentation ), read the names of the months, find and say the odd word from the winter, spring, summer and autumn months.
- Anagrams “What month is it?”
Teacher asks Ps to look at the slides ( teacher’s presentation ) and unscramble the words “May”, “July”, “April”.
1). Pre-reading activity
Teacher asks Ps:
– What is your favourite season?
– My favourite season is summer.
– My favourite season is winter.
2). While-reading activity
Teacher proposes Ps to listen to the sentences of exercise 3 at page 66. Ps read the sentences after the teacher all together. Then Ps read again individually:
There are four seasons in a year. My favourite season is winter. December, January and February are winter months. It is cold and snowy in winter. I can play snowballs and ski. I like winter.
3). Post-reading activity.
True and false statements ( slide 13, teacher’s presentation )
- Dan’s favourite season is winter.
- It is cold and rainy in winter.
- Dan can play football in winter.
- Dan can ski in winter.
- Relaxation activity.
Teacher proposes Ps to sing a song and dance.
With my foot I tap, tap, tap.
With my hands I clap, clap, clap.
Right foot first, left foot then,
Round and round and back again.
Ps work in pairs. They look at the pictures of exercise 4 at page 67, make up dialogues using the words under the pictures.
- Do you like summer?
- Yes, I do.
- Why do you like summer?
- It’s hot in summer. It’s sunny. I can swim.
- What can you do in spring?
- I can ride a bike .
- What do you wear in spring?
- I wear jeans and a jacket in spring.
Ps write down the words into the table ( handouts ).
What did you do at the lesson?
What did you like?
Do exercise 2, page 45 ( workbooks ) – choose the words according to the pictures and write about your favourite season.