- Read the text and mark the following statements «True» (T) or «False» (F).
«The Spiderwick Chronicles» is a series of children’s books by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black. They write about the adventures of the Grace children, twins Simon and Jared and their older sister Mallory, after they move into Spiderwick Estate and discover a world of faeries that they never knew existed. According to a letter from Holly Black it all started when she and Tony DiTerlizzi were at a bookstore signing autographs and were given a letter that the Grace children had left for them. The letter told them about a book that «tells people how to find faeries and how to protect themselves». The letter went on to say, «We just want people to know about this. The things that have happened to us could happen to anyone». A few days later, according to Black, she and DiTerlizzi met the Grace children, and the story the children told them became «The Spiderwick Chronicles».
1) «The Spiderwick Chronicles» is a set of books._________
2) The book was written by one author._______
3) There were two girls and a boy in the family._________
4) The children had adventures that began when they were leaving the Spiderwick house.______
5) The magic began after reading the letter.________
6) The story was told by the faeries.________
- Read the text. Make the sentences below the text true.
The United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland) is one of the world’s most popular tourist places. The UK offers the tourists a view into the past, as historical attractions and famous places surround you wherever you travel. Home of world-class museums, famous art collections, green countryside, beautiful landscapes, interesting architecture, quaint villages, and different cultures (English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh), the United Kingdom is
a place that has a lot of fantastic sites to visit.
1) Tourists from all parts of the UK visit the country.
2) The UK offers the tourists a view into the future.
3) Theme park attractions surround you wherever you travel.
- Read the text below. Match choices (A—G) to (1—6). There is one choice you do not need to use.
Christopher Paolini was born on 17 November 1983 1)_______ . He has lived most of his life in Paradise Valley, Montana 2)______ . The tall, jagged Beartooth Mountains rise on one side 3)_______ . Snowcapped most of the year, 4)_______ .
Christopher was homeschooled by his parents. As a child, he often wrote short stories and poems, 5)_________ , and read much. Some of his favorite books were Bruce Coville’s «Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher», Frank Herbert’s «Dune», 6)__________ . The idea of «Eragon» began as daydreams of a teen.
- A) with his parents and younger sister, Angela
B)often went to the library
C)they inspired the fantastic scenery in «Eragon»
- D) and Raymond E. Feist’s «Magician»
- E) he climbed the mountains
F )of Paradise Valley
- G) in Southern California